my in three's baby cardigan

Tuesday, October 21, 2014



This little sweater has been a long time coming. A look at my email records tells me that I bought the pattern in July, and ordered the yarn a few weeks later. But the story starts even before then, because I had been saving knitting patterns and longing to make something more complicated than a scarf for many years. I was so intimidated though, by the patterns themselves with all of their k's and p's (and don't even get me started on knitting charts…) and by the beautiful things I saw other people create.

I'm not sure what changed, but this year I decided to just go for it. When I first had a good look at this pattern, and then saw my friend's toddler wearing the cardigan, I was hopelessly discouraged. And then I gave myself a pep talk that went something like this: For crying out loud Gaby, just do it. One. Row. At. A. Time.

So I started, and I repeated my mantra, 'one row at a time,' to myself many, many times. My mother in law helped me out with one little bit (the sleeves, I think) but mostly, I was able to follow the pattern without too much trouble. The funniest thing is that after holding on to the pattern and the yarn for over 3 months, from start to finish it only took me 10 days to knit this up and put it on my girl. I was so proud, and a bit surprised too, when it was done and it really was a cardigan. With buttons and sleeves and everything.

As happy as I am with the end product, I have to say that I absolutely loved knitting it too. I found so much comfort in picking up my needles each day, and paired with an episode of Downton Abbey, it was the perfect way to spend an hour.

A few details: the pattern is in three's: a baby cardigan. I used Bendigo's Luxury 10-ply yarn in the colour blue denim. I made the 18 month size, which is a bit big on Clementine so I'm planning to cast on soon for one size down. This knitting this, it really is addictive...

p.s. I'm on ravelry, and you can find me here.

8 comments:

  1. absolutely gorgeous!
    I've made hats, scarves, mittens, etc - but always wanted to do something more complicated like this.
    Maybe I need to get going and buy a pattern.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i am the exact same way with knitting!!

    this cardigan is so impressive and inspiring – love it!! xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your words on the "unfolding" of how you eventually tackled what seemed to be a "project of probable frustration" is so very encouraging to anyone wanting to take on a project whether it be knitting or building a cabin! One. Row (or step). At. A. Time.! Btw, I just love the way Clementine looks so pleased to debut her "sweater knitted with love by Mom." The photo capture of her legs naturally bent and positioned to one side covered by grey tights and capped with tiny red shoes is just scrumptious : well done Mom!

    ReplyDelete
  4. All I can say is WOW... 10 days and a handmade jumper, such a great feeling. You really did a wonderful job and I love the little wooden (I think) buttons contrasting on the jumper. Thinking about it one row at a time is a perfect mantra and I'd yu make a mistake you just pull it out and get going again. I'm so impressed. I am wanting to make a crochet blanket and have picked the pattern and done a little test piece but ned to fine tune my ends and start. Regards Kathy A, Brisbane

    ReplyDelete
  5. I SO wish I knew how to knit. Each time I try to learn I give up mid-project. This is divine!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Gorgeous work! I always get a kick out of seeing people knit in threes, and love seeing little ones toddling about in them. Lovely work--you should be so proud of yourself!

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you, and if you ask me a question I'll answer you here (or by email if your email is linked to your profile) x

 

this little port © All rights reserved · Theme by Blog Milk · Blogger