the cold

Monday, June 9, 2014




The cold finally arrived this weekend, about a week after the official start of winter. We woke up under our cozy duvet and my husband said to me, "wow, you were cuddly last night." A sure sign of the weather; I usually want as much personal space as possible. After six years here, I'm becoming a total wuss. Once the temperature drops below 25 degrees, I start carrying a sweater with me, just in case. When I lived in Vancouver, anything above 20 degrees meant summer. It's amazing how you adapt.

We've had quite a nice long weekend. On Sunday the three of us drove up to the Central Coast for Mason's birthday party. On the way there we went to Bouddi National Park, where I did a maternity shoot for a beautiful couple. I've never been before, but oh my is it ever beautiful there! It was wild and windy, but we rugged up Clementine and she had a wonderful time playing on the sand and exploring the cliffs. Afterwards, she wore her party dress and enjoyed the ruckus that is a kids' birthday party. We ended the day at our friends' place back in Sydney, where the social butterfly entertained us all with her shenanigans. By the time I put her to sleep, I was exhausted but buzzing with nervous energy from our day. I forced myself to unplug, do a restorative yoga practice and drink tea while reading my latest book. Tonight I'm aiming for another early bedtime because the baby (I wonder how long I can keep calling her that?) keeps waking up between 4:00 and 5:00am, not my preferred time to start the day. Here's hoping it's just a phase.

I hope you're all enjoying the last of your weekends, long or otherwise.

15 comments:

  1. i got to spend the winter time in Gold Coast and Brisbane last year when I worked on some projects. what i like about it though, at the daylight, it's cold (at least for Indonesian like me) but not that cold,, and we still got sunlight! that last photo makes me want to jump to the water instead. i hope you stay warm there :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. These are beautiful photographs. It doesn't look very wintery in the photos, which is great.

    It really is starting to get a little chilly in Australia, I must admit.

    Naturally Jes

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yay, so fun you did more maternity photos Gaby. I feel like your photography has been even more beautiful lately. And oh my gosh, seeing these gorgeous surroundings is making me want to pack my bags and visit you in Australia. Dreamy!!! <3

    ReplyDelete
  4. This made me laugh the comparisons between both climates. The pictures are wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yeah adaptation is amazing! We've had a snow here and quite a bit of temperatures not above 10 degrees, so definitely feeling warm looking at your pictures. I always enjoy looking in on your wee bits and pieces - glad to hear that maternity photography is going along, you've got a talent with a camera. x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thought I recognised the board walk! This is where my Grandparents live, I love this beach and beautiful cliff top walk :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Gorgeous photos, Gaby! Thank you so much for coming up to see us. We feel very special :) x

    ReplyDelete
  8. Dear, your blog is fabulous! I like your photos!
    Everything is perfect!


    will be happy to see you in my blog!
    www.dianacloudlet.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. Gorgeous photos! Funny how perspective is, that looks warm to me! (oh Canada ha!)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love the seasonal differences! Winter in Australia as we layer on the sunscreen here in Rhode Island! Lovely photos, sweetheart!

    ReplyDelete
  11. your photos are always soooo breathtaking!!! here's to hoping clementine wakes up later in the mornings. i am hoping my little one does too!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love the view! Looks like a great place for a photoshoot ;).

    ReplyDelete
  13. beautiful ocean pics, such a stunning view

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you, and if you ask me a question I'll answer you here (or by email if your email is linked to your profile) x

this little port All rights reserved © Blog Milk - Powered by Blogger