breathing space

Tuesday, May 20, 2014


I've been noticing a subtle but important shift these last few weeks. Clementine turning one has given me some breathing space, and goodness is it ever appreciated.

There's no denying that motherhood, and the first year especially, is all consuming. When you have a baby who isn't a great sleeper and who relies on you as their food source, you're pretty much tethered to them 24/7 for at least a year. Now that Clementine is a little bit bigger, more independent and eating three meals a day, I find that I'm able to leave her for longer stretches of time. The weekends have become dad time, and she is loving it.

This weekend was especially busy for me. On Saturday I taught my usual yoga class and had my first girls' night out in, oh I don't know… a year? It felt so good to be out at night, wearing clean clothes and letting my hair down (both literally and figuratively). Sunday was spent taking photos. I did three shoots: one for a friend's business, one for an article about chai tea and one for friend and fellow yoga teacher. It was a long day, and I was wiped by the end of it (especially because I still had to duck home to breastfeed, get props etc) but I also felt so inspired.

As well as working on creative projects, I've also been able to prioritise my own wellbeing now that I'm not so mind numbingly tired all the time. For the last few Fridays I've left Clementine with one of her grandparents so that I can go to a yoga class and treat myself to lunch. Last Friday I even got a massage, my first in nine months.

I love being a mom. I really, really do. But it's good to know that I'm still me, with my own interests and friends.

12 comments:

  1. Oh, I'm so happy to read this Gaby. It makes a huge difference to feel like you have a little breathing space to yourself. It really does.
    Much love,
    Ronnie xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. I totally know what you mean, you still need to be a separete person with your own things to do and enjoy...glad to hear you had a nice busy weekend ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so happy to hear that you're finding some time for yourself. Though I'm not a mom, I definitely understand how all-consuming it can be to have a child (hence my subsequent fear of motherhood, though I do have time) and the thought of losing sight of myself and who I am is a thought that's scared me for a long time.

    It's awesome to hear how you are prioritizing your health - that's so important and something that SO many people, child or no child, forget to do.

    You are awesome and inspiring!

    <3 Daryl
    Unlost

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well, my little one arrived just over a week ago and I am in the beginnings of the all consuming phase. Its been some what overwhelming and definitely an adjustment but the best ever. You're right, each moment is so special and each season doesn't last forever. x Glad your enjoying your next phase

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, how wonderful and fulfilling your recent days sound! I believe time away from our children make us better mothers. I kind of figure, how can I encourage the girls to look after themselves if I don't show them how! It also gives me a chance to miss them, which makes coming home again so much better. Linda. xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. I too went out on the weekend with Mr. Kypo. The first time the two of us have been out together in 20 months. It's was my Aunty's party. Gosh it felt amazing. Xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Congratulations on your first year of motherhood!!! For me, it's almost like a switch gets flicked as soon as the babies reach that first year milestone. Everything feels a bit easier. It's ok to fully immerse yourself in motherhood but it's so important to still make time for the things you love, which you are able to do with your (amazing) photography and Yoga.....enjoy this new phase. Mel x

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh my, what a good way to use your time and energy--recharging is one of the most important things to do as a mother!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This spoke to my soul today Gaby! As a new mom to a 3 week old baby it was good to remember that life will one day return to some semblance of normality one day! You have done a great job at raising your little girl over the last year and I'm sure that Clementine can only be positively influenced by having a mom who values self care! Jo x

    ReplyDelete
  10. Taking care of yourself is one of the best ways to take care of your children. I know this and yet I so often forget to put it into practice. It sounds like you are making good use of your 'me' time. I have almost forgotten what a massage is like! I need to get on that...stat!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I have found over the years (yikes that sounds scary) I am a much better Mama, partner & friend if I take some me time to recharge. It has taken me a really long time to get to this point. Enjoy your Gaby time beautiful, it's very much deserved xx

    ReplyDelete
  12. Dear Gaby,
    I’ve been engrossed in your blog for the last 24 hours and have fallen head over heels in love! What a beautiful space you have created and so lovingly share with us all. There are too many posts to mention that resonated with me (this one especially!)

    As I read them I’d find myself smiling, saying, “uh huh! me too!” – from our relationships with our husbands and babies, to our experiences of being Mothers (the fatigue and elation!) and the choices we make in that role (what foods they should eat, when should we think about having a sibling, and don’t mention the reminiscing that ensued when my baby turned one!), to our crafting space and love of Chai! Your posts are so beautifully and honestly written.

    I really wanted to comment on each and every one of them – but I fear that might come across a bit stalkerish as a first-time visitor! I just wanted to let you know how very much I have enjoyed spending my quiet time immersed in your world.

    I’m so looking forward to sitting with my tea and reading more of your lovely stories. xxx

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you, and if you ask me a question I'll answer you here (or by email if your email is linked to your profile) x

this little port All rights reserved © Blog Milk - Powered by Blogger