blerg

Wednesday, May 28, 2014


I had high hopes for this week. I had several blog posts written in my head and photos waiting to be uploaded. I also had lots of errands and to do's on my list, as well as friends I wanted to see. Instead, the stomach flu hit. Again. In the words of Liz Lemon, blerg.

It started with Clementine on Saturday; she had a mild tummy bug which seemed to clear by that evening. On Monday night my husband and I came down with a not at all mild version of the bug and spent most of the night throwing up. It was miserable. Even worse though, was the day we had yesterday. My husband had to go to work which left me alone with the little one, who was being her normal active self. I tried desperately to find someone to help me, to no avail, and then I cursed my status as an expat parent. I just kept thinking, if only my mom was here to help me…

I really wasn't coping so my husband came home from work a few hours early and took Clementine to the park. I fell into a deep sleep and only woke up once it was dark. Today we're all feeling much better, not 100% but getting there. And I managed to find a couple of babysitters to come and help me out, for which I am very thankful.

In happier news, we booked our flights to Canada! The plan was to go in July, for my bestie's wedding and also just because we love summer in Vancouver. Sadly, the fares were insanely expensive and after looking for several months we had to give up. Last week we found a sale fare over Christmas, and after hemming and hawing we booked them. I realised that it's been five years since I was home for Christmas, so we're all quite looking forward to it.

I'm also looking forward to this weekend, because we're taking family photos with Gui and Michaela. I have many beautiful mother daughter photos thanks to the sling diaries, but the last time we had family photos taken Clementine was just two months old. I can't wait to see what they capture this time around!

12 comments:

  1. Oh Gaby, that is so, so tough.... I'm glad that you're slowly on the mend. You deserve a big, big hug.
    Ronnie xo
    p.s. Excited about your flights! How wonderful will that be?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aw, I love Liz Lemon and that show!! <3 Excited to hear you guys will be back for x-mas too, would be so lovely to arrange a time to visit again. And ack, stomach flu... Martin had a terrible one on his birthday!! Big hugs! V

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, you poor thing! I'm glad you're feeling better today. Hang in there and yay to booking flights home! A Merry Christmas indeed!

    Linda. x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, nothing worse than a stomach bug! Hope you're feeling better! x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yuk indeed. And completely unfair! But your photos are looking extra gorgeous of late and Christmas in Vancouver - you must be so excited! (And no doubt your mum is already counting down) x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ugh to the stomach bug! Alba had one too this week and it was awful... glad you're all feeling better. Enjoy your time with the family photos (which reminds me... I still have NONE!) ;) lots of love to you!

    ReplyDelete
  7. So glad you are all doing better! Wish I could've come over and take care of sweet Clem for you!! But so so happy that you are going home! I wish for that all the time. But probably not this year.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Cool frame. And can't wait to see you all! xxx

    ReplyDelete
  9. Aw Gaby, I'm so happy you're feeling a lot better, and I hope it stays that way for a while.

    And I hope Clem is doing just fine now. Give her big hugs! :)

    Naturally Jes

    ReplyDelete
  10. There is just no greater terror than being sick and having to look after a young child. I really feel your pain. I cannot tell you how many times I was holding onto the toilet bowl while my little one's were lying in their cots crying their hearts out. Their cries just broke my heart. Lucky for me I have family that could generally come to my rescue within an hour. I can only imagine how it must feel to not have that safety net around you.

    Hope you are all feeling better soon.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Eugh, being sick and less than 100% whilst your little one is full of beans is simply the worst. You're already feeling yuck and then you've got to deal with the guilt of not being up to normal speed for your kids. Yep, it sucks. So glad you managed to find some babysitters. I'm a nanny based in North Sydney and can happily put you in touch with some lovely,warm reliable babysitters if you're ever in need!

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you, and if you ask me a question I'll answer you here (or by email if your email is linked to your profile) x

 

this little port © All rights reserved · Theme by Blog Milk · Blogger