do you have a recurring dream?

Tuesday, October 9, 2012

This beautiful painting is by New York illustrator Lisel Jane Ashlock. You can buy a print here.

I'm about to sound like a crazy hippy here, but for as long as I can remember, I've had a recurring dream about whales.

No two dreams are identical, and they don't happen very often but a few themes are recurring... My whale dreams seem to only happen at times of transition (moving, break ups, new jobs etc.).  The dreams usually begin with me swimming in the sea when I notice a whale (or a dolphin) nearby. At first I'm afraid - they're so massive and overwhelming - and then one of the whales will swim up to help me and talk to me. I think we're speaking English - the whales and I - but it's a bit hard to tell in dream land. Sometimes we play (I vividly remember a dream where a whale and I were throwing a ball back and forth); sometimes we swim together; sometimes we just have a chat. In other dreams I'll be standing on the shore, or on a boat and just the sight of a whale will bring me huge comfort. And the amazing thing is that upon waking, I do always feel soothed and comforted by these dreams. Just writing this is making me hope for one soon!

I'd love to know... do you have any recurring dreams?

13 comments:

  1. I often have dreams about my mother who has passed I really feel like its her way of visiting me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. interesting! dreams can be weird right? I have this recurring dream about me forgetting to wear one or both shoes...weird hahaha

    ReplyDelete
  3. So interesting! When I was a little girl, I had a recurring dream about living on the inside of a gigantic clock tower. I distinctly remember (in the dream) sitting in front of the enormous clock face reading a book. So random!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lately I've been having the teeth falling out kind of dreams which are supposed to mean you're stressed out. It wouldn't be too far from the truth in my case! I'm so fascinated by dreams though, the whale ones sound peaceful :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. always an interesting subject. i wish i knew more about it. i had a reoccurring dream at the beginning of my current relationship. the dreams always had the same outcome and that was the death of my boyfriend. quite unsettling and macabre and i'm not sure what it meant. those dreams have stopped a long time ago, but at the time is was worrying.

    that's a beautiful painting by the way.

    leyla.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I feel like i have similar dreams and then i think i do have recurring dreams, but then wonder if that's just a dream!?!
    :o

    ReplyDelete
  7. I used to have dreams that would end in me dying. Distrubing, but interesting to wake from and realise I'm alive :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your recurring dream sounds beautiful. Mine is terrifying, I'm trying to outrun a tsunami. I've had this dream since I was a child, and always when I'm stressed or worried about something.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Gaby, thanks for stopping by my blog, I am very happy to have found yours!

    I loved this post. I have a recurring anxiety dream where I am about to write my thesis for my masters degree but I only have 48 hours and I haven't even done the reading...*shudder*. And my dreams are always incredibly vivid and detailed, like films going on in my head, and they stay with me all day. My husband thinks I'm mad as he barely remembers his! Gillian x

    ReplyDelete
  10. That painting is breathtaking... And your dreams sound fantastic! That's fascinating they always happen during time of transition. I used to have dreams of flying...I jump up and have this incredible power and weightlessness. I LOVE IT. And when I wake up I try to go back to sleep and experience it again. :) I haven't had it in years though... Dreams are so interesting

    And you asked about the ebelskivers...yes, you do need to buy the pan. We were given ours as wedding gift. :) If you google it and you'll find them from $15-40. Ebelskivers are delicious, highly recommend them! :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I have recurring dreams about my late grandfather whom I was close to. In these dreams we would just be hanging out, doing routine things around the house like we used to.

    How wonderful do your dreams sound? I love to dream of playing with whales too.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I have recurring dreams about my grandfather too. We were really close and from the day he went into an awake coma to when he passed away (8years later) he has been part of my dreams.
    Yours sounds wonderful!
    There is another dream story, I have to tell you about, that one brought me to Australia. Too long story to fit into a comment ;)

    ReplyDelete
  13. you? sound like a crazy hippie? never. xo

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you, and if you ask me a question I'll answer you here (or by email if your email is linked to your profile) x

 

this little port © All rights reserved · Theme by Blog Milk · Blogger