a letter (to my dog)

Thursday, May 31, 2012

Scout

I call this one 'Scout's headshot.' Anyone need a dog model?

Scout

Scout

Scout

Scout
{all photos taken by me on the island}

Dear Scout,

I was quite worried when I first got back to Vancouver that you wouldn't recognize me. After all, it had been 2 and half years, and I'm not really sure what a dog's long term memory is like. Sure enough, right at first you didn't seem to know who I was. You sniffed me and then trotted off to get more pats from my dad and my brother. But shortly thereafter you came back to me, and I'm pretty sure you knew me.

When we were younger, Mateo and I used to try to convince our dad to get a pet. A cat. A hamster. A fish. Anything! His answer was always the same: "Too much responsibility. No pets." Which is why we were all the more surprised when he called one day - I was in 1st year, Mateo was in high school - to say that he had bought a puppy.

Mateo and I jumped in the car and raced over to our dad's place, where we burst in so loudly that you immediately peed everywhere. You were this tiny ball of fluff and we loved you immediately.

More recently, I went to visit you and my dad on the island. You slept in my room and woke me up in the morning with slobbery dog kisses. I'm pretty sure you remember me. One day I wanted to go for a walk to a beautiful seaside park, but I didn't know how to get back to my dad's. He dropped us off at the park and said, "Just follow Scout back, she knows the way."

We started walking and right away I thought you were lost. I kept thinking that there was no way you would get us home, I mean, how would you even know that I wanted to get back to the house? But I kept following you, on the roads, through the trails and all the way to the house. Of course.

You are a smart cookie.

love,
that girl who lets you get away with anything because you're so damn cute

p.s. I realize that this post places me firmly in the camp of those-crazy-dog-people but I don't really care.


23 comments:

  1. I feel exactly the same way about our family pets! They're family! They're wonderful!

    And that is definitely a headshot!

    ReplyDelete
  2. aww... I have one too :) , loving the feel of the post.
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm still trying to convince the hubby that I NEED a puppy. please help me! ;) xo

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful story! There's nothing wrong with being a litle bit crazy (not that-crazy) about animals!

    ReplyDelete
  5. 1) cutest dog EVER?!

    2) how amazing that he knew the way home! That is so great.

    <3 Daryl
    Roots, Wings & Other Things.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I hope Alanna doesn't see this post - she'll nag me till the end of the earth to get a dog... and now I'm almost convinced. And Alanna wants to call hers Atticus... x
    Sandy x

    ReplyDelete
  7. wow your dog can pose. and i totally love my pups like kids! it's okay

    ReplyDelete
  8. Aww, so sweet and what a cute dog.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I don't really like dogs and I don't think you're crazy. =) Gorgeous pup.

    Kacie

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a sweet dog, and your pictures are great! I don't think dogs ever forget who we are.. their always part of our family!

    ReplyDelete
  11. this is the CUTEST :) also, your dog is super duper cute as well x

    ReplyDelete
  12. Awww Scout! Nice to meet you you are so handsome and upright!

    Cute letter to your precious doggie, I am convinced he knew you, he never forgot you;)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Pleasure to meet you Scout.
    I'd let him away with anything too, he's beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Aw your dog is too cute!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Such a lovely post, I love your blog¡¡
    Take a look and if you want we can follow each others: http://loscaprichosdediana.blogspot.com.es/

    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  16. He is adorable! I am in the same boat as one of those crazy dog people.

    xoxo
    holly

    www.myscuttle.com

    ReplyDelete
  17. ah! what an amazing little dog. he is the cutest. ever.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Crazy dog people are always fine.. it's those crazy cat people you gotta keep a look out for.. :)

    He is so beautiful and I can't even imagine how cute he must have been as a puppy.

    ReplyDelete
  19. what a beautiful dog!
    so precious.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Your dog is gorgeous! I've always wanted a dog like that. Such beauties.

    <3 Leney

    ReplyDelete
  21. Your dog is absolutely adorable. And there is no shame in being a dog lover. I am a dog-mama through and through! What a wonderful time for you to be catching up on cuddles and doggy kisses. Right now my dog is beside me asking for attention!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Me again!
    I featured your sweet puppy in my Friday favorite's post yesterday:) Hope you don't mind! Check it out if you wish.

    <3 Leney

    http://agirlnamedleney.blogspot.com/2012/06/friday-im-in-love.html

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you, and if you ask me a question I'll answer you here (or by email if your email is linked to your profile) x

this little port All rights reserved © Blog Milk - Powered by Blogger